This week we finished up the chapter with Social Psychology. There was a concept in there that was called social inhibiting. This simply means that you do worse in something when there are more eyes on you while you do it. An example that would represent this would be if Johnny was playing basketball and during practice he could shoot free throws for days and make them no problem. Then when it came to games Johnny couldn't handle the pressure from other people watching him and he wouldn't perform as well as he would when he was just practicing.
I have related to this, and even more specifically to this example. This also happens to me for a lot of other things, also. So generally, when I get up in front of people I have an instant increased heart rate that happens and I can feel the pressure breathing down my back as I am trying to do my task. This has caused me to do poorly in some speeches that I have given, to miss important basketball shots, run slower in track, and miss important passes that were thrown to me in football. I will have to live with this and hopefully gradually get over this so I can be continuously accomplishing the things that I do in front of people to the best I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment